Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I feel so dirty.

Today is a day that I have been looking forward to for a long time. It is the release date of The Eagles new album, Long Road out of Eden. It's their first album of all new material since The Long Run.

Now I love The Eagles. A lot. I wrote my entire first novel while listening to their music.

Who knew that this wonderful day would be tainted.

So I go out this morning in search of this new treasure. I'm at Target right after it opens. And nothing. They've never heard of it. It's the same story at Best Buy, Sam Goody, Borders, and Fred Meyer.

What's up with that?

The biggest release of the year and nobody has it?

Then it hits me. I saw an add on the net for Wal Mart. I knew they had it there.

Anyone who knows me knows that I hate Wal Mart. A lot. I am a lonely crusader against the evil empire. I yell "You SUCK!!!" out my car window every time I drive past.

So I go there. Sure enough, I find the CD. Right there on the label, it says "Only at Wal Mart." My need of the CD overrides my conscience. I buy the CD.

Now I feel like I just sold my soul, or at least a little part of it, to the devil. I have also lost a little respect for The Eagles for signing an exclusive deal.

I don't know. Did I sell out? Am I less of an upright person because I took the only deal in town? Did I compromise my standards with a lame justification to get something I wanted?

The record is good, but I still feel dirty.

Thought for the day -

The world of situational ethics is a tricky one.

6 Comments:

Blogger kay said...

agghh!! i feel your pain! i hate hate hate when an artist signs a deal with one company to sell their music. what is that all about? and then you have to travel all over the city to find what you want. stinks.

i hate walmart too.

go target!

2:01 PM  
Blogger B. said...

You bought one CD at Wal Mart. The world will go on. :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Drewpy Drew said...

B - I know, I know. It's just that I caved so easily. Sigh. Somebody needs to keep fighting The Man. Sigh. I'll feel better tomorrow.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sold out. I couldn't have done it.

"I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't Do That)"

Now we know what he was talking about. She asked him to buy something at WM.

DB

7:09 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

hahahaha! you and i are likethis when it comes to wally world. "YOU SUCK!"

but i am so looking forward to that cd...

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew hon...repeat after me:

'It was only one CD, it's not like I did my entire Christmas shopping there, and Wal-Mart still sucks.'

I avoid that place like the plague but I am not going to martyr myself over it. If they have something specific that I can only get there then I'll put my blinders on...go in...pick it up...then leave.

Eagles CD? Totally worth it...

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home