Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A new list.

The expected snow fell everywhere in the greater Seattle area except at my house last night. :(

So anyway, I was laying awake in bed last night. One of the things about not being able to sleep is that your mind can really wander. At about 3:30, I got to thinking about some of the bands that I have had the good fortune to see live. I guess it would be bad fortune to see them dead, but whatever.

So here is my list of the top five bands and/or artists to see live. Remember that I can only comment on people that I have gone to see and therefore the list from a limited point of view. I never got to see The Beatles or Keith Green. And I plan to find a way to see The Eagles the next time they tour. Please feel free to add your favorites.

And now, counting down.....

6. The Dead Kennedys - During my slightly misspent youth, I was a bit of a punk rocker. The DKs had the best stuff out there. Great lyrics and music. I saw them at the Moore Theatre in Seattle. The stage was eight feet high and was great for doing dives and flips off of.

5. Steven Curtis Chapman - Great energy. He really makes the crowd part of the show.

4. Cheap Trick - The first concert that I ever went to. It was the summer that the 'Budokan' album came out. It was so cool when Robin Zandler threw the Kiss album into the crowd during 'Surrender'.

3. Billy Joel - He has such a great body of work. And he just knows how to work the room.

2. Lost and Found - The band that I have seen the most times. They play small venues and interact with their fans. Part rock show and part comedy act. Just plain fun. And all of their stuff is right on biblically. Check them out here.

And coming in at number one...

Jimmy Buffett - Mr. Buffett doesn't put on a concert, he throws a party. Everybody gets to be a beach bum for the night. The parrotheads know all of the words. It's the worlds largest drunk choir. With the tailgating, it's an all day event. More fun than a dog has stink.

Thought for the day -

Live music rocks!

11 Comments:

Blogger blog author said...

the world's largest drunk choir...i love it!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Billy Joel/Elton John was the best concert I ever saw. It was expensive, but nearly four hours of straight music, just the two of them. Compared to Eric Clapton, who was expensive, and played for less than 90 minutes -- and had a terrible opener. I've seen the Eagles twice. Unbelievable time one. Not so great time two (because of weather issues and plane delays, they got there late and cut short the show).

8:16 AM  
Blogger Drewpy Drew said...

Sue - I was late for the Billy/Elton show and it was still one of the best ever.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You saw Jimmy Buffet? Now why does that not surprise me?

7:15 PM  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I've seen Buffett.

Mr. Manic's first concert ever was Cheap Trick, although I keep telling him it was really Juice Newton, even though I didn't even know him back then.

Ooh, my word verification is fun! Jixjopie! Sounds like a band I might like to see.

Btw, are you going to be a man and donate me some blood or what?? I need me a man in this contest of mine!!! Puuuulease?

8:37 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

omg! cheap trick was my first concert too! oh how the years have passed...

8:45 AM  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oopsie, I remember you told me you can't donate!!! Sorry pal!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw the Eagles 'bout 100 years ago lol....back then they put on an awesome show....lol at the time I couldn't believe how many of their songs I knew!!

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only two concerts I've ever been to was

1. Michael Jackson's Thriller Tour ( afreinds dad worked with Pepsi we got really really good seats) I was in 7th grade)

2. Mark Knopfler a couple of years ago in Sydney....

I really enjoyed Mark Knopfler...

2:26 PM  
Blogger xxxx said...

I loooove concerts. They are like children, though, I can't pick my favorite ;)

5:44 PM  
Blogger kay said...

uh hello! the grateful dead

and drew how about suicidal tendencies? saw them in my punk rock stage. awesome!

guns and roses opened up for motley crew. that was something.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home