Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Pirates are coming.

This post has nothing to do with Johnny Depp.
I'm talking about these Pirates

That's right, I'm talking about the

I have been a fan of the Pittsburgh sports teams since 1971. I have never been to Pittsburgh, but I love their teams. When I was a we little lad, Seattle had no pro football or baseball teams. I felt the need to have a team to call my own, so I picked the one with the coolest uniforms. Not very scientific, I know, but rooting for a team never is.

Anyway, in the late 70's Seattle got a baseball team.

I like the Mariners. But I love the Pirates. Unfortunately, the Mariners are in the American League and the Pirates are in the National League. That has meant that my team has never played in my town.

Until now. Because of inter-legue play. I get to see my Pirates in person. I got tickets for all three games.

On Tuesday, I took my father in law. We got there when the gates opened so I could try for autographs. I got Jason Bay and Jack Wilson to signed their cards for me.

Then the real coolness happened. The Pirates were coming off the field after batting practice. Jose Castillo (2nd base) had a ball in his hands. A bunch of people were waving to get him to throw it to them. I stood up, made eye contact, and raised my hands. He tossed the ball to me.

It might be because I was dressed like this

But wait, it gets better. I was looking at the ball, thinking that I was pretty fortunate when I saw some more players signing autographs. I went down and saw Jose Castillo (The guy that threw the ball to me) standing there. I handed him the ball and he signed it.

How cool is that? I felt like I was eight years old. It was a great night.

Thought for the day -

Good things come to those who wait.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes...I would have totally gone with the best uniform too.

8:46 PM  
Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Just when I was coming over to look for something exciting... baseball...

Good to see you!

3:37 AM  
Blogger xxxx said...

Fun! I used to get baseball players' autographs all the time when I was a kid.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home