Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A grand adventure.

Before I get to today's topic, I would just like to state for the record that I am the king of 'Small group fun night' at my youth group. The Nerf dart gun war was a ginormous success. Yay me.

Now here is the low down on why I am torturing myself by walking five and a half miles a day for the next four weeks.

At the end of this month, I am going to climb, solo and with out the aid of supplemental oxygen, the tallest canyon in Arizona. And for an encore, five days later I am going to lead a team on an ascent of the lowest basin in North America.

For spring break, Sweetie Pie and I are going to the Grand Canyon. We are taking my father in law along because he has always wanted to go there and my mother in law is not big on traveling, so he has never had the chance. Neither he nor Sweetie Pie want to go through the pain to go to the bottom of the canyon, so I'm going alone. Don't fret none. I'm a very experienced backpacker and the trails are well traveled. The main danger I will face is getting run over by other hikers if I stop to tie my boot lace.

I will be descending to the canyon floor via the South Kaibab Trail. The next day I will hike up on the Bright Angel Trail. My accommodations for the night will be in the Phantom Ranch. I will be enduring pain (I have arthritis in my knees) and seeing wonderful things. Sweetie Pie will have to endure the pain and hardship of having to listen to me whining for a few days and boasting for several years.

After our stay at the south rim of the canyon (in the Yavapai Lodge), we will be on to Vegas Baby! From there we will visit Death Valley (Bad Water Basin is the lowest point in North America) and Hoover Darn.

It looks like a pretty full spring break. Old guys gone mild!

Thought for the day -

Because it's there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jenster said...

The trip sounds wonderful! My husband and I stayed at the Grand Canyon on our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago. He wanted to ride the mules to the bottom, but I didn't think that sounded like a good idea ON MY HONEYMOON!

Have a fabulous spring break and a safe trip!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!

db

6:41 PM  
Blogger xxxx said...

What a fun adventure! That sounds great!

8:08 PM  
Blogger B. said...

That sounds awesome!! I have family in Arizona and hope to get out there some year to do something similar.

7:04 AM  
Blogger kay said...

wow that sounds sooo cool!! i can't wait until you get back and can show us all the pictures you take!

i love the Grand Canyon! it's so, well, GRAND!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

you rock drew....and you will rock on the rock! have a great time.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I am planning a lock-in for the youth group. Please give me some details on the nerf dart wars, I think it sounds like a blast.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home