Saturday, August 19, 2006

Does anybody here know the Heimlich Maneuver?

I saw the movie Accepted last night and was surprised. I thought it would be a little funny, but it was really good. The writing was crisp and clever and the message was cool. The only thing wrong was it used too much slapstick. When your material is good, you don't need prat falls. It was the feel good movie of the year.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Millionaire story.

I was shocked that I got picked to go next. I went out during a commercial break and put my butt in the hot seat. I said hi to Meredith and we shook hands. I didn't chat with her that much because she was talking with her people and I was talking with mine. (Yes, I had my own people while I was on the show.)

We came back from the break and jumped right into the game. I sailed through the first five questions in nothing flat. I was working the audience and having a great time.

We went to another break and I got to talk with Meredith some more. She was very nice and totally cool. Things were going my way.

When we came back for the commercial, Meredith talked with my mom a little. Mom had come up with a joke and I had told the producers about it. Meredith was kind enough to set my mom up for the punch line and she got a good laugh.

I nailed the $2,000.00 question and then things got interesting.

The $4,000.00 question was:

A strict ovolactovegetarian will not eat which of these foods as part of his diet?
A: Fish
B: Milk
C: Cheese
D: Eggs

(Without looking ahead, answer the question and let me know if you got it right. I have found that about 25% of the people get it right.)

Now, I had never heard that word before. I had all of my life lines, but I didn't think that any of them would help. I figured the audience would split on all four and I knew it would take the entire 30 seconds of my phone a friend just to establish what the word was.

I decided to go about it logically. I broke the word down in my head.

Ovo - eggs
Lacto - milk
vegetarian - vegetables

My mistake was I flipped the question in my head. I switched will and won't.

I said "D Eggs. Final answer." and my fate was sealed.

I choked. I took the gas pipe. I rolled a gutter ball when I only needed one pin to win.

The answer was fish. I felt like crap. I wanted to put my fist through a wall. It was over and I had no one to blame but myself. I firmly believe that if I had taken 10 more seconds to think it over, I would have gotten it right.

There is still more to the story, so stay tuned.

Thought for the day -

When life gives you lemons, throw them at your TV.

2 Comments:

Blogger B. said...

I rushed to say eggs too!

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said fish but that is only because I happen to have a friend who is ovolactoveg-whatever and she ate fish twice a week...otherwise she was fairly normal.

Me? I don't buy the whole diet thing...life's too short.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home