Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Song writing made easy

Some of my best stuff comes out really fast.

This is the second song I wrote. I got the idea one day while I was driving around. At a stop light, I saw one of those guys holding a cardboard sign and asking for help. I started thinking about what it must be like to be in that situation. By the time I got home, I had most of the song written in my head.

I ran to the computer and got it down. Less than two hours from conception to completion.

I emailed it to my friend Matt and he said that it "smoked". The next day, he sat down at the piano and g came up with the tune. I love writing songs with him because he knows what the song should feel like.

He and our friend Wes worked on the song (they changed my third verse into a bridge) and made it what it is today.

Matt played it in a guitar bar in Japan (who knew there were guitar bars in Japan?) and received much praise. The owner wanted to know who did the song, so he could buy it. (We're huge in Japan)

Some day, we're going to record stuff for real. Well here it is.

Heartbeat
12/4/05 Words and music by:
Drew Blackstone
Matt Knighton
Wes Schmunk



He's standing there in forlorn desolation

A pocket stuffed full of averted eyes

You won't be ruled by guilty motivation

Turn up the radio and drive on by

He's driven there by hopeless desperation

It's a scene to make the angles cry


CHORUS
Which one of you is going to help my brother?

Have you really got that much to lose?

You're really not that different from each other

You're just a heartbeat from walking in his shoes



She's just sixteen and in a family way

Wishing to take back that single sin

She doesn't know what she will to do today

She's got no way to go back to where she's been

She just wants to find someplace that's safe

But you say there's no room at the inn


CHORUS
Which one of you is going to help my sister?

Have you really got that much to lose?

You're really not that different from each other

You're just a heartbeat from walking in her shoes


Bridge
Are you acting out of ignorance or fear?

When you're making up a reason to not care

You say their lifestyle's causing their decay

Well what would Jesus say?


CHORUS
If you just reach out and touch your brother

You may find a treasure you can't lose

You're not that different form each other

You're just a heartbeat from walking in his shoes


Thought for the day -

It's really hard to finish a job that you never start.

4 Comments:

Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

You know, I used to think writing songs was basically poetry set to music, but you've shown here that it's so much different.

I really wish to hear these words come to life with music.

How talented can one be? Actor, Novelist, Songwriter...

2:22 PM  
Blogger Drewpy Drew said...

Apparently, VERY talented. I've got a rough recording of this one. I'm trying to figure out how to let y'all hear it. It's really cool.

Oh BTW, thanks. :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Drew.....

This is Barb....Trish's sister from over on Coffee House Chatter...now know as Coffee Talk. I came to your blog via comments you left on Trish's blog....the curiosity was killing me and I had to find out about the gorgeous puppy you have on your avatar!!! I found the story about your cutie.....:) I love dogs but especially golden retrievers...she is beautiful! I have one named Molly and she is the world's biggest awesomest (that a word??)suck....then I also have another little one who is basically a mutt and her name is Maggie....only had her about a month but she is a cutie as well....so there is my story!! Nice to meet you....:)

I love the words to your songs...you are a talented wordsmith....keep up the great work......

Barb

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hehehe thanks for the return visit Drew!! Maggie and Molly seem to be popular names for goldens...love the name of yours!!!

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home